Development Services


Variance Deadlines (2024)
View PDF
Comprehensive Plan - Realize Roma
View PDF
Planning & Zoning Deadlines (2024)
View PDF
Subdivision Ordinance
View PDF
Zoning Ordinance
View PDF


Zoning Map
View PDF
Future Land Use Map
View PDF
Thoroughfare Plan Map
View PDF
Current Land Use Map
View PDF
Roma City Limits Map
View PDF


Zoning Verification Letter Application:

view file

Mobile Food Establishment Application:

view file

Variance Application:

view file

Pre-Development Meeting Request:

view file

Subdivision Plat Applicaton:

view file

Developer Resources

Residential Home Builder Developer Information Packet

view file

Development Standards Manual

view file

Commercial Project Builder Information Packet

view file

Planning and Zoning

The commission is composed of seven members appointed by the City Council. The commission shall be responsible to and act as an advisory board to the city council.

The Planning and Zoning Commission shall:

  1. Review all current and proposed ordinances and amendments pertaining to planning and zoning and make recommendations to the city council for action to be taken;

  2. Make proposals to the city council to amend, extend and add to the comprehensive plan for the physical development of the city;

  3. Keep public records of its resolutions, findings and determinations;

  4. If requested by the city council, a monthly report shall be made in person by a member of the commission to the city council; and

  5. Review plats and zoning requests and make recommendations to the city council for final adoption of same.

The Planning and Zoning Commission  shall have full power to:

  1. Exercise the authority of the commission as provided by state law, this charter and city ordinances; and

  2. Make reports and recommendations relating to the comprehensive plan and development of the city.

Board of Adjustments

The Board of Adjustments is the body established to:

  1. Hear appeals of decisions rendered by zoning administrators;

  2. Interpret unclear provisions in the zoning ordinance;

  3. Decide on applications by landowners to permit buildings or land uses which vary from the zoning regulations.

To file an appeal please contact the Planning Department at City Hall 956.849.1411

Board of Appeals

The Building Board of Appeals exists to determine the suitability of alternate materials and methods of construction and to provide reasonable interpretations of the various city codes which control construction practices within the City of Roma, and to provide a forum for the appeal of the decisions of the Building Official and/or Fire Marshall. The decisions of the Board are binding and can only be appealed to the district court.

Building Inspections Department

The Building Inspections Department administers professionally-accepted standards and adopted regulations to safeguard life, safety, health, property, and public welfare of all construction-related activity within the City limits. We are responsible for the enforcement of the City’s adopted building and construction codes and ordinances.

When do you need a permit?

A building permit is required to "construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy" of a building or structure within the City of Roma's jurisdiction. A homeowner may be issued a permit to perform such work on his permit upon proof of ownership. A trade permit for electrical, mechanical, plumbing or irrigation work is sometimes required depending on the scope of work. With the exception of irrigation work, only a contractor registered with the City may be issued a trade permit.


  1. INTERIOR & EXTERIOR REMODELING (if it requires structural change)




  5. POOLS & PONDS (if over 24in. of depth or are above ground containing 5,000 gal. of water or more)


  7. RESIDENTIAL ROOF COVERING(required when replacing25% or more)


  9. STORAGE SHEDS (or other structures, if over 200 sq. ft. or more. )

  10. PORCHES, AWNINGS, & CARPORTS (Permit is required if it’s 200 sq.ft.or more, or when structure is attached, or within 5 ft. of house )

  11. ACCESSORY DWELLING UNITS/ IN-LAW SUITE (attached or detached)


  13. CONCRETE WORK (if more than 30in. above grade or if it will support a structure)

  14. MASONRY WALLS & FENCES (if over 42in. in height)

  15. CHAIN LINK FENCE (if over 6ft. in height)

  16. ANY WORK ON CITY SIDEWALKS OR STREET (such as repairs of sidewalk, curb cuts for new driveway)



  • Any plumbing improvements made to a residence or business with water accounts serviced by the City of Roma require a plumbing permit from the City of Roma


  1. Replacement of any switch, receptacle, fuse, fan, light fixture or similar equipment that does not alter mechanical, electrical or plumbing system.

  2. Ordinary minor nonstructural repair or remodeling work such as painting, papering, siding and similar finish work.

  3. Decide on applications by landowners to permit buildings or land uses which vary from the zoning regulations.


Back Flow Preventors

Residents and businesses are required to have their back flow preventers tested annually to ensure that all drinking water systems remain clean and safe for public use.

Federal, State and Local Codes require public water systems to:

  1. Conduct customer service inspections on private plumbing systems;

  2. Require backflow protection using appropriate backflow assemblies;

  3. Require those assemblies be tested to ensure they are working correctly.

To have your back flow preventer inspected, please call City Hall at 956.849.1411

Health Permit Information

Please contact the City of Roma Planning Department at 956.849.1411 for information related to health permits.

National Flood Insurance Program

Floodplain Management is the operation of a community program of corrective and preventative measures for reducing flood damage. These measures take a variety of forms and generally include requirements for zoning, subdivision or building, and special-purpose floodplain ordinances.

Property owners in high risk flooding areas may want to secure additional flood insurance coverage. Property owners in lower risk areas may still experience flooding due to possible localized floods. Other expenses associated with hurricanes may be windstorm damages, debris removal, and new landscaping after severe weather events. ​

National Flood Insurance Program

Code Enforcement

The City of Roma Code Enforcement Department oversees compliance of city ordinances dealing with unsightly matter, high grass and weeds, illegal signs, and other legal violations. City codes are enforced to reduce vandalism, fire hazards, urban blight, and to promote the health and safety of the citizens of Roma.

Contact Information

​To report violations of city ordinances contact the Code Enforcement Department at City Hall 956.849.1411